Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On anti-social behavior and family

I'm not sorry that I've been feeling anti-social as of late. It is my firm belief that people are entitled to alone-time and personal space, and right now, that is exactly what I need. I am sorry, however, that some of my friends seem to be taking this personally, as if my aim in isolating myself for these past who knows how many weeks was to injure their feelings. I love you, but no. Do not think that this is me being petty, or me being flaky. This is me needing some goddamn time to myself, and it has nothing to do with you.

Please take that as a compliment. I'm not trying to avoid you. I'm trying to avoid EVERYONE. You may not agree with my methods - in fact, I know that some of you don't - but this is what I need to do for me. And if you can't understand that, when I'm feeling down and out I like to spend some time alone and sort things through, then you aren't the people I thought you were.

On another note, I'll be home most weekends, starting from this past weekend to at least the end of this month. I plan on being here every other weekend in October, since that is my birth month, and I'd like to celebrate with friends (I'm thinking game night!). The reason for this is that my mom recently had an accident and underwent surgery; she is currently in the recovery process, and her surgeons have ordered her to do as little as possible, lest she suffer a setback (like she did this past weekend). In order to make life as easy as possible for my mom, whose business demands likewise that she be on her feet nearly all the time, I will be going home to chauffeur her around, as well as to cook and clean and all that jazz. Please understand that my mom comes first, and right now, she's not doing very well. If my going home on the weekends to care for her bothers you, then again - you aren't the people I thought you were.

You, however, being the people I thought you were, will hopefully understand that I am sorting through my life as best I can, while also offering unconditional support to my mother. You will understand that I mean no harm, and that while I may be avoiding social interactions, this in no way means that I don't still love you, that I don't miss you. I do - I just need to take care of me, and I need to take care of my mom.

I love you all!

No comments: