Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A change in plans

I may not be applying to grad school this year. I've been having trouble gathering the appropriate letters of recommendation, but, more significantly, I've been having trouble gathering up the energy. I registered for the GRE and I still plan on taking the exam, but otherwise... my heart isn't really in it.

I might try an alternative route first. I'd like to take some courses at a community college since frankly, I didn't really take any journalism-specific classes at UCSD. Ideally, I'll take a few AP-style writing classes at one of SD's community colleges, and seek out some internships, either in print or in magazines.

And that's another thing - I want to test the waters before going to grad school to determine whether or not journalism is really my thing. I know I don't want to go anywhere near PR or marketing, but what if I want to write for a fashion magazine? What if I don't want to write at all?

No, I do want to write.

Who knows - maybe I'll take a few creative writing courses, too. I'll leave my options open for now, and try some new things. I'm still young. At the moment, I have all the time in the world.

No comments: