Saturday, January 31, 2009

"'There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.'" (Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen)

Elizabeth Bennet, in explaining to her sister Jane that she will never run the risk of being too flattering, of seeing too much good in the world, perfectly sums up my current state of mind. The appearance of being sensible and having merit cannot be trusted; humans are too inconsistent, too fallible, and too likely to disappoint.

The context of the quote isn't really necessary, but - to explain in a few short words - Jane has just been disappointed by Mr. Bingley. Elizabeth very feelingly suggests that, while Bingley may have in appearances been a reasonable, good-hearted young man, he is in fact too dependent on the advice of his sisters and best friend, Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth will later learn otherwise, but at the moment she is all scorn and resentment on behalf of her dear sister.

I find myself in a similar situation with two of my dearest friends, both of whom recently discovered just how deceptive appearances can be. In the first case, all of her friends - including me - were taken in by false pretenses; I never met the man involved in the second case, but I was closely acquainted with the circumstances and am now appalled at how extraordinarily treacherous one man can be.

My own circumstances are a cautionary tale of their own right, which certainly doesn't help improve my state of mind.

Pride and Prejudice has a happily ever after. Happily ever afters, however, are proving rather difficult to find in reality.

No comments: