Tuesday, February 16, 2010

On five months

Has it really been exactly five months since I've last updated this blog? Clearly, the answer is yes, since the previous post is dated September 16, 2009 – but I'm still having trouble believing that a) so much time has passed and b) I neglected to write for such a span of time.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be so surprised – I haven't been in the mood to write for a while now. Disheartening thought, actually.

That being said, I'm back! So my journalism hopes have been dashed into thousands of teeny-tiny irreparable pieces – so what? I can still write for myself. For now, that will have to suffice.

In the five months that have passed, I've acquired a permanent position at SDSU Research Foundation, I came dangerously close to being in a relationship (okay, so dangerously may be a pessimistic/negative/generally displeasing adverb. I'm a generally pessimistic/negative/displeased person), and… well, that may be it, actually. Family is about the same, friends are about the same – life, in a nutshell, is about the same. (Maybe that's why I haven't written in five months. Not much to write about, really.) I've been looking at the bright side as much as possible (the bright side of what, exactly, remains a mystery as, aforementioned, I am generally displeased), and for the most part, it's been working. Great friends, great city (yes, I'm somewhat contented with the fact that I'll be in SD for at least the next year, probably more), great love-life (it's nonexistent, which makes it great from my point of view). Not much to complain about, in other words. (Yet I'm still generally displeased. Hm.)

First things first – the job (i.e. the reason why I'll be in SD for the foreseeable future). This harkens back to the whole "I'll never be a journalist, woe is me" thing: I'm essentially back to square one, and trying desperately to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. Option A: Pray that my sister's business gets off the ground soon. Option B: Project Management. Option C: Win the lottery. I'm not a gambler, so at the moment, I'm shooting for Option B. And, as luck would have it, I'm in the perfect atmosphere for project management, since that's essentially what the people at the Research Foundation do – manage the professors' projects (to a certain extent). If this is the road I choose to wander down, I couldn't have stumbled across a more opportune place to be. I don't want to stay here, since this isn't exactly the type of project management I would want to do, but the experience will be (in)valuable.

My favoritest (as in, least favorite) holiday, Valentine's Day, has come and gone, and I can say with completely true enthusiasm – it was the best one yet. I spent the day with amazing friends – Jessica M., Taylor, Kolbe, Erika, and Allison – and I really could not have asked for a better group of people. We girl-talked (Kolbe napped through that part, and I think Taylor zoned out), we played Imagine Iff… (don't know why that board game needs to spell "if" incorrectly), and we went out for Thai. It was a great mix of new and old friends all on their best behavior, and if we concentrated hard enough we could forget that we were all there together because we were all single. \

The good vibrations from yesterday will keep me going for this whole week, I think – it was THAT good of a day. They may soon be negated by my coworkers going on and on and on about the cakes they baked for their boyfriends, however. Were cakes trendy this year, or something? Whatever happened to going out to dinner?

I'm not bitter.

So earlier, I lied. (Yes, I realize I said I wouldn't. Whatever.) The love-life isn't exactly nonexistent. It's non-nonexistent. It doesn't exist, but it doesn't quite not-exist. (If you think about this hard enough, it makes sense. Or it gives you a headache.) Long story short – I met a guy, I was interested in him, he was interested back, I DIDN'T RUN AWAY (yes, you read that correctly!)… and he moved to Seattle. Second long story short – it's happening again (but with a different guy). I guess I can't shorten this story, since it's still in the works; we'll just have to see how it unfolds. And if the universe still hates me. And if I still fail at life.

So – that's what's happened in the last five months. See you in July! (I kid. I think.)

No comments: