Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sworn Enemies

I once swore that math was my worst enemy, mostly because I thought I was bad at it. And I am bad at it, in one sense. I detest things like geometry or trigonometry, because I don't like working with angles, proofs, theorems, and so forth. It doesn't make sense to me. Algebra, on the other hand, and I get along quite well, since it's logical. To me.
Simple things like balancing my checkbook, budgeting, and keep track of my expenses is fun - I like simple math. It's no problem (no pun intended) for me.
All along I thought I was terrible at math, and I developed a hatred for it because it made me look bad. Turns out, I'm not so bad at it after all. And really - what's the point of geometry anyway? (Structural engineers need not answer that question.)
Anyway, the point is that numbers and I will never have the same relationship that I do with words, but I guess we aren't really enemies either. Who'd have thought?

No comments: