Monday, March 9, 2009

On Sunday afternoons

Twice in one day? That’s right, lucky readers (whoever you are)! You get not one, but TWO updates from me in the span of one day – mostly because this post didn’t really relate to my work post.

Yesterday, I spent the day with my dear friend Jessica M. We watched a movie (He's Just Not That Into You, which reawakened my inner Bitchy Single Woman), bought some cake (the damn confectioner’s club or whatever was having its annual cake parade at the LJ Village Square shopping center) and Chipotle, and took ourselves to Mission Bay.

I forgot how amazingly restful that place it. Jessica took me to Paradise Point, a little resort hidden off of the bay, which had this big man-made pond covered with ducks – the friendliest, most tame ducks I’ve ever met. One cheeky little fellow kept waddling around our gazebo, pecking at the ground and staring longingly at my burrito. I kept scolding him, since I’d stuffed his maw full of bread only a few moments earlier (and you should have seen them flock to us!), but the bird wouldn’t leave us alone until we turned our backs and resolutely ignored his cuteness.

After we’d finished our lunch (late lunch, really, since this was around 4pm or so), we crumbled up some bread for the ducks in that part of the area before leaving for another spot. I also left a little trail of crumbs on the gazebo, leading toward some rice that had fallen out of my burrito.

They’re hard to eat, okay?

At the new location, the ducks literally clambered out of the pond and onto our feet – Jessica got stomped on by an overeager male, and I was splashed on more than one occasion. It was adorable, though; Jessica got one of her little friends to do tricks for his bread, while I catered to an especially patient mallard who was a little too shy to climb out of the water like the rest of his friends.

After we’d run out of bread, Jessica and I wandered down to the dock, where we chilled – literally. It was damn cold. From the dock, we could see a park that lingered on the edge of the bay; since there wasn’t much to see at the dock, we decided to leave and explore the park.

We got ourselves a bench right on the water’s edge, and sat out there for probably close to an hour. We met a retired stewardess with her little male Bischon who was actively exploring the sand. We saw boatfuls of half-naked men paddling out on the bay. We watched people cruise by on their little schooners.

And we saw an otter! Who knew that otters liked to hang out in the bay? He was adorable; he would dive under water, then surface a few feet later, and dive again – clearly on a mission, but to where? Was he visiting his friends at Sea World? Was he going for a meal at the dockside restaurant (which had pondfuls of ugly fish)? Was he striking out for freedom?

Who knows? He sort of made our day, though, just because he was so darn cute.

Oh! And at one point, while we were still on our gazebo, we saw two ducks humping. I couldn’t tell if the female was pleased or not; she seemed like she was trying to swim away. Little dude was into it, though, pecking at her head feathers and everything.

Probably more than the BSW in me needed to see.

No comments: